21 November 2023
Top Tenant Tips for Winter
So you have secured yourself a great tenant, and may be wondering the best way to keep them in-situ for the long term? Our commercial property expert Sarah Thurmer liaises with tenants every day, and offers her top tips to future proof your commercial relationships.
We are all feeling the pinch lately, and your tenants will be feeling it too. It’s paramount that landlords do what they can to maintain contact with their tenants, keep the relationship positive and help your tenants in any way you can. The winter months are often the hardest with energy costs rising, bad weather affecting logistics and workers falling ill more often; so now is a key time to show your tenants you are on their side.
Here are some of my tips on ways you can achieve this:
- Timely reminders on any changes for access hours over the Christmas period
- Update contact information if you are away; who should they contact if they have a problem?
- Find out if your tenants are away over Christmas and offer to check in on their premises e.g. for frozen pipes
- Keep access clear from snow
- Provide grit for icy conditions or a reminder on where it is located on site
- Check pipes are insulated
- Offer a generator in case of a power cut
- Making farm machinery available for loading in bad weather
- Updates on inclement weather which may restrict access to site
- A simple Christmas gift i.e. bottle of wine, cheese and nibbles will go a long way
- A Christmas card with some kind words through their door, or a physical visit to shake a hand and/or raise a glass.
For advice on any aspect of commercial lettings you can contact Sarah on 01743 404925 or email firstname.lastname@example.org