Renewables & Land Agency

Energy Site Finding and Project Development

At Howie, Kent & Co we provide site finding and project management consultancy for a number of renewable and non-renewable energy providers throughout the UK, as well as ongoing management for energy sites, including schedules of condition, reviews of leases and dealing with boundary issues. We are able to identify potential sites for energy production such as solar and wind.


At Howie, Kent & Co we provide advice to landowners across the UK in respect of the purchase or sale of land, whether you are looking for a private purchase or sale, or a purchase or sale via the open market. We can deal with all elements of a sale, including advising on the best method of sale, marketing of the property, undertaking negotiations, transferring BPS entitlements, producing plans and liaising with solicitors. We are also able to act on your behalf in the purchase of a farm or land, negotiating on your behalf with the vendor or vendor’s agent.

Landlord & Tenant

We provide advice to both landlords and tenants in respect of agricultural, commercial and residential tenancy matters, including Farm Business Tenancies, Agricultural Holdings Act 1986 tenancies, Assured Shorthold Tenancies, Landlord and Tenant Act 1954 tenancies and all other agricultural and commercial licences.

We are able to assist with a wide variety of matters including the following:

New lettings of agricultural, commercial and residential property

Tenancy preparation

Issuing and dealing with tenancy notices

Lease renewals

Rent reviews

Agricultural Planning

Agriculture is a constantly evolving industry, with both on-farm needs and corresponding planning legislation changing continuously. It is therefore vital to keep up to date with planning legislation, to not only ensure you comply with legislation but also take advantage of what current legislation allows.

We provide advice in relation to a variety of agricultural planning matters and can assist with a wide range of projects, including grain stores, machinery stores, general purpose buildings, livestock buildings and farm diversification projects.

In 2018, the government updated permitted development rights within the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (England) (Amendment) Order 2018, which now provides for up to 1,000sqm of floor area for a new agricultural building. If certain requirements are met, you can apply to your Local Planning Authority (LPA) in advance for a determination as to whether prior approval of the authority is required for the erection of a building up to this size. The LPA then has 28 days in which to let the application know of its decision whether a full application is required or to inform the application of its decision to allow or refuse approval.

Residential & Commercial Development

Howie, Kent & Co is retained by a national developer on a site-finding introductory basis. The majority of agreements progress under a promotional basis where both landowner and developer benefit from the uplift in land values if planning is obtained. This is often perceived as more beneficial than an option agreement where once planning is obtained the developer / option holder and landowner do not share the same interests in maximising land values.

Utilities & Compulsory Purchase

Howie, Kent & Co act for landowners and farmers in dealing with utility companies when water, gas or electricity companies require to carry out work on their land. We liaise with the utility company on your behalf to negotiate access provisions, wayleave or easement payments and crop loss claims. In most cases, professional fees are covered by the utility firm. We are also able to negotiate on your behalf or offer advice in respect of any area of compulsory purchase including new roads and other types of land take.

Land & Property Management

Howie, Kent & Co manage rural and farm property on your behalf, including land, residential and commercial property. We are able to let and manage residential properties, marketing the property on your behalf, handling tenant checks and drawing up tenancy agreements and all relevant documentation. We are also able to let and manage agricultural land, advising on the best method of doing so and then appropriately marketing the land either privately or publicly, depending on your requirements. We can set up tenancy agreements and then manage on an ongoing basis. We also market commercial property to let.

Contact us

To discuss any of the above services with a member of our team, please call the office on 01743 404925 or email

To view our up to date Client Money Certificate (RICS) please Click Here

Our Property Redress Scheme Membership certificate can be found here


Enter your keyword